Friday, January 24, 2014

Day 10, Jan. 24: Return to Antigua

It feels weird writing about one day in particular. It’s crazy to think that it’s only been a week since coming back from Guatemala, and yet all the memories and experiences somewhat blur together. Even the gazillion mosquito bites that remind me of the trip everyday are starting to fade away!

I don’t think it really hit me that I was leaving Guatemala until we officially left Los Andes on the bus. The majority of our stay in Guatemala was at Los Andes, so when we were physically leaving our Guatemalan home, I finally realized that the end of the trip (but not of the experience) was approaching us. Chelsea had to leave a day early, which made it even more of a reality. Everyone had gotten really close and it felt like there was a gaping hole that needed to be filled when she left!

Even though Antigua is beautiful, I think a lot of us would agree with me when I say that the simplicity of Los Andes is even more beautiful. I think it’s because despite the superficial aspects of the different places we stayed, ultimately, we really connected with the people of Los Andes and I think that’s what we’re going to remember years from now.

For our final reflection – well, maybe it was just me – I remember it being a little silent. I feel like no words really had to be spoken because we all shared the same sobering thought that this was going to be our last night in Guatemala. Of course, afterwards, we all were our usual, goofy selves - but I think our true final reflection was more on an individual level than anything else.

Being back at school, I feel like I’m still thinking about my time in Guatemala every day. Just like Sarah and Chris said might happen, it’s hard to explain my trip to my friends and family because I feel like they won’t comprehend the entirety of the whole experience without every detail (and every inside joke). Now, whenever someone asks me about my trip, all I say is that it was “amazing.” Some things need to be experienced firsthand to really be understood, you know?


Kids in Los Andes in front of a freshly painted fence

No comments:

Post a Comment