Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 7, Jan. 21: Sara

Today was our second day at work on the school. Although I was tired from yesterday’s work, I was so excited to see Nelson and all of the kids again. It’s amazing how close I feel to them all after spending one day with them. There’s one little boy named Nestor who commands all attention from the ladies. Although he was shy at the beginning, he quickly warmed up to us, and now he loves to bring us flowers and give hugs! I have really enjoyed teaching him some English. I quiz him on colors as we paint the fence, and he quickly learned how to say, “My name is Nestor.”

            We got a lot done and like to end our days with music (when we get power back around 6) and soccer. The kids also love to play a game called, “perro y gato.” It means “dog and cat” and is basically duck, duck, goose. They’re endless energy is so refreshing.

            Our time spent back at the house has revolved around Bananagrams, chess, Battleship, and creating variations on the cup song (“I’ve got my ticket for the long way ‘round…”). I think not having power for most of the day and having no wifi has really brought the group closer together and made our nighttime reflections even more peaceful.


            We like to finish off our nights with some group star gazing. When the sky is clear, the stars are stunning. We try hard to identify constellations, but none of us can really say we’re experts. Regardless, it’s another way for our group to spend more time together in the moment, laughing and sharing stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment